Southerly Designs has been at the forefront of high speed aluminium vessel design for almost two decades.
Drawing on over 40 years of experience in designing, constructing and operating fast commercial vessels, our professional and dedicated team has forged an enviable reputation for producing robust vessels that are practical, handle well even in extreme conditions, are fuel efficient and offer comfort without sacrificing performance.
With shipbuilding partners in Australia, Singapore, Mexico and Vietnam, currently there are over 400 Southerly Design vessels from 5 m to 52 m operating in diverse roles globally.
From the early years designing the renowned Geraldton Boat Builders, lobster fishing boats that dominated output through the 1980s and 90s, Southerly Designs have expanded and diversified their range to suit a wide variety of applications and clients.
Southerly Designs is an established provider of quality vessel designs, including:
- Long range and high speed patrol vessels for multiple Australian and international military and law enforcement agencies;
- Offshore support vessels in oil and gas, construction and aquaculture;
- High speed fishing vessels;
- Tourism, charter and motor yachts.
As an early adopter of computer design technology within Western Australia’s shipbuilding industry, we employ the latest in naval architecture software and CAD/CAM techniques, allowing Southerly Designs to maintain a position at the forefront of the industry.
Southerly Designs utilise an extensive range of integrated software packages, including:
- The Maxsurf suite of programs for hull design, detailed hydrostatic and stability analysis;
- Bentley Microstation for general drawing, 3D visualisations and production modelling;
- Ship constructor for structural detailing and production output.
Close consultation with owners, operators and builders, combined with modern technology and an extensive base of real world data enables Southerly Designs to continuously deliver innovative and efficient designs to satisfied clients around the world.
A typical Southerly Design package includes:
- Performance prediction;
- 2D and 3D visualisations;
- Structural design;
- System schematics;
- Main shafting and rudders;
- Fire and safety diagrams;
- Nested router cut part files;
- Comprehensive construction and approval drawings; and
- Stability analysis.
With a wide range of clients globally, Southerly have designed to most of the major classification society rules and government regulations. We offer high quality design packages to international classes such as ABS, Lloyds, DNV and BV, as well as to the Australian NSCV code and the requirements of numerous other flag state authorities.
Southerly Designs takes pride in delivering customised solutions to each and every client.
Our track record speaks for itself.